Thursday, September 2, 2010

Forever



Today has me reminiscing a little bit. The desire to go to a durham bulls game reminded me about one I went to this summer. A friend gave me tickets and I took my mom and a kid from church. My brother manages the sky boxes and since they weren't full, we got to spend the game there. It was the best way ever to watch a game. My brother spoiled us with endless free stuff. Chicken, pizza, ice cream, ice cream sandwiches, cotton candy, popcorn, peanuts, drinks all enjoyed from an air conditioned room, with the option to go out side too. It was awesome. The kid had never left roxboro before. He never goes anywhere and no one ever spends anytime with just him. He comes to church every week and often falls asleep. Perhaps thats the most peaceful hour he knows all week in an apartment with 6 kids. As usual Brooklyn didn't say much that day. But he took every thing in. He didnt miss any details. Not just on the field, but also watching everyone in the stands. He didnt smile much. He doesnt like to smile. But as I bought him the snow cone it was hard to hold back. We took a walk and decided to take a picture with Wool E. Bull. I wanted him to smile. He resisted. I could make him laugh, that always works. I started saying crazy things without much luck. Then it hit me. Though only 7 hes a tough guy and they dont like to talk about love. So I asked him in hopes of a smile, "Brooklyn, how much you love me?" Waiting behind the camera I heard, "Forever." I admit, I was choked up. I knew he was having fun but I didn't see that coming. I had poured out love to him all day and he noticed. Our God pours out his grace on us. And to the people God has called us to love, how can we do it any different?

3 comments:

  1. Ok so must I cry EVERYTIME I read ur blog?? REALLY?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brett Carver I am glad you are blogging. Thanks for the simplicity with which you live out your faith and for letting me throw stuff at you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete