Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Kashawn


I must say that I have fallen in love with my kids that I pick up on Wednesdays for church. They make me quite happy. Some make me want to pull my hair out. One that does both is a kid named Kashawn. With his sweet little heart he will cuddle up in my lap and tell me he loves me. He will reach up with his small hands and play with my beard. And then he will lean in and kiss my cheek. And when he doesn’t get his way he will cross his arms and hang his head. He will look at me and declare, “I don’t like you” with enthusiasm. When I push more him he squints his eyes and tell me he hates me. Then I’ll show up at his school and he runs into my arms. His classmates see me and say, “There’s Kashawn’s dad” because that’s how he introduced me. And that’s the cycle. Some days are great with endless smiles and other have endless frustrations as I have the physically restrain him as he tries to punch, kick and bite. Loving him is hard. It takes effort. It takes patience. It takes endurance. All given to me graciously by God. I ask for it to love Kashawn and he freely gives, because He knows what it takes to love me.

1 comment:

  1. I have to tell you that I love these posts. It seems that lately God has been conveying one major lesson to me: to love. It seems like everything around me in some way is pointing to that message. To love as God loves. It isn't easy, and it's not always fun, but it is so important. I wish my heart was as big as yours. :-) Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete